When Children Steal:
By Ron Huxley, LMFT
things because they want something they can't have, don't understand property
rights, or are angry at someone. Here are some helpful tips on what to do when
your child steals.
1. Do show your disappointment but don't shame or ridicule your child.
2. Talk with your child about what caused him to steal the object and why it is wrong to steal.
3. Encourage your child to return the item and apologize for their actions. If the stolen item was destroyed or eaten, require your child to pay for the item.
4. Use stories to discuss right and wrong behavior.
5. Help your child find appropriate ways to fill their needs without stealing.
Parent's Resource Center
Copyright © 1997-2005 [PRC]. All rights reserved.
Revised: November 14, 2006